Fairytales of Love and Deception, Hope and Courage, and a somewhat confused mind.

Monday, August 29, 2005

Grab a deckchair, have an early summer!

Last night on my travels I had Elvis "the King" Costello accompanying my lonely self on the journey home. Not the real Elvis Costello, though that would have been a bit of a laugh. Actually, for the sake of the creative opportunities that the internet presents, let's say it WAS the real Elvis Costello, and I was just giving him a lift to the Great Lakes, where he has a cozy little chateau. He just happened to have his guitar on him (the mountain air is great for writer's block, so I'm told), and he played me a few tunes. One song in particular perked my ears up and caused a bit of a sing-a-long. It's very eighties and just a little daggy, but there's something about that song that gets me every time. After a brief discussion with Mr. Costello I realised it's because it reminds me so much of last summer. And it seems I really enjoyed last summer.

It never ceases to amaze me how much sound/music relates so closely to memory. To this day listening to They Might Be Giants' Mink Car conjures images of Bilbo Baggins roaming around Middle Earth, simply due to my choice of soundtrack while reading the Hobbit. So it suprised me how fondly I looked back on last summer as Elvis strummed away with his...synth keyboards, because I'm not one who puts that much affection into summers. But this particular one was pretty darn special. I was just wrapping up my Cert. IV course and probably had a better understanding of myself than I have ever had, I had so many close friends at that time that currently I miss dearly, and a burgeoning relationship with my current boyfriend. So when I hear Elvis' "Everyday I Write The Book" it brings back feelings of driving through my home town in an insufferably hot car, laying in my bed as the morning sun illuminates my room, and all the feelings of contentment and happiness I felt at the time.

And to think, if I hadn't picked up that bespeccled hitchhiker with his guitar/synth keyboard last night, I probably wouldn't have even realised any of this.

10 Comments:

Blogger Ludicrousity said...

I can relate. Certain songs remind me of times in my life, or just an isolated time of a few minutes if I heard oa song somewhere that stands out. Glad last summer was so good for you. I was sad after the little group of us all split up and went our separate ways. I miss hanging out with everyone. Even though I love where I am now. I get slightly nostalgic at times.

Pick up any hitchiker you see, you never know what ditties they'll play you! :)

Mon Aug 29, 10:51:00 PM

 
Blogger Bizzle said...

Long live the Clique! I'm almost beginning to wish I really HAD picked up hitchhiker Elvis. Sadly, it is not so, and I must remind myself of that so as not to fall into a ficticious world of my own creation.

Excuse me while I go pack for my trip into Willy Wonka's factory. (*picks up violin and plays erratically and exquisitely for the congregated dinner party guests*)

Mon Aug 29, 11:01:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every time I hear that song "I will always love you" it reminds me of puke.

Tue Aug 30, 01:36:00 PM

 
Blogger Ludicrousity said...

Charming...

I can't wait til willy wonka comes out!! TOMORROW!!!

LONG LIVE THE CLIQUE!!!

Tue Aug 30, 04:43:00 PM

 
Blogger Bizzle said...

Little man, keep your infection to yourself. YAY WILLY WONKA!!! I'm gonna go on Friday to see it. Hopefully.

Tue Aug 30, 10:43:00 PM

 
Blogger Ludicrousity said...

I plan on going this weekend! I can't wait!!!

Tue Aug 30, 10:59:00 PM

 
Blogger Bizzle said...

little man chewed his finger off and had to go to hospital.

Wed Aug 31, 09:17:00 PM

 
Blogger Ludicrousity said...

So he finally chewed his nails too far down eh?

Thu Sep 01, 10:18:00 PM

 
Blogger Bizzle said...

Uh-huh, and it got infected and he nearly DIED. That may be a slight exaggeration, but he did get oodles of antibiotics pumped into his arm. He he!

Fri Sep 02, 09:02:00 PM

 
Blogger Ludicrousity said...

I was so kidding!!! Oh my gosh!!! he had to go to the hospital from chewing on his finger?!! BAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Sat Sep 03, 12:30:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home